"Whiter than white" Greetings from all of us at The Crazy Nut, As promised last week, today we will explore the myth of "whiter than white" and other claims. Detergents and soaps are the most bought-and-used item of any product in the supermarkets. Many consumers do not understand the difference between ordinary soap and synthetic chemical detergent. Ordinary soap is relatively harmless, and has been used for thousands of years. The new detergents, however, are all chemical products from the last 50 years. While soap is just soap, detergents are often soap along with foam boosters, perfumes, enzymes, cleaning agents, fillers, and optical brighteners. A person who rubs just a few grains of synthetic detergent into the eye can receive corneal burns and severe eye damage. Ingestion of these products causes serious harm to the upper digestive tract. Clothes washed in some, detergents become permeated with artificial perfumes and other irritating fumes. Enzyme detergents are thought to cause dermatitis and flu-like and asthmatic conditions from breathing the air with detergent dust. Here are a few steps that can be taken to reduce the harm from such cleaners: First, try to use ordinary soap or an organic cleaner instead of the chemical detergent. Don't overuse detergent- most people, according to the Consumer's Union survey (American) use at least twice as much detergent as is required. Don't mistake detergent for soap- never wash the skin with detergent and keep it away from the mouth. To help with soiled clothes, pre-wash them with washing soda and then use common soap. It may seem that chemicals are all through the average household. In almost every room, some synthetic chemical compound can be found: mouthwash in the bathroom, dishwashing liquid in the kitchen, air freshener in the bedroom, furniture polish in the dining room, paint thinner in the garage, and so on. You may find it difficult to eliminate every chemical compound in your home, but you should start asking yourself if it is really needed or if a safer substitute can be found. Here is a quick overview of other dangerous household chemicals. TOBACCO SMOKE. Smoke from cigarettes contains over 3000 chemical compounds. Tobacco smoke can quickly and completely pollute the entire house, even if only a single cigarette is smoked in one room. INSECTICIDES AND PESTICIDES. Many people routinely spray their house for roaches and other insects. The fumes from these sprays can linger for months, and be breathed in continually by the inhabitants of the house. The solution to the insect and pest problem in the home is to first make the house as unattractive as possible for such creatures. Keep all areas clean, and learn that there may be a needed compromise in insect control and total eradication. If pesticides must be used to control insects in the house, get rather the dry powder type that releases no fumes. ( Keep out of reach from pets and children ) OTHER POLLUTANTS. There are many other sources of pollutants in the home. Noise pollution is often ignored, but excessive levels of noise around and in the house have detrimental health effects. Low-level radiation from microwave ovens is also a source of pollution in the house. Dry-cleaning fluids, spot removers, lead paint, paint thinners, glues, and many other chemical compounds in the home can be dangerous if used improperly. Let's resist the "bombardment" of adverts that scream at us telling us how dirty our houses, clothes, toilets etc.. are. We are supposed to share this earth with insects and microbes. By putting ourselves in a sterile environment we can only harm our immunity system. If we live a "clean" life and eat the right foods ( no rancid oils, processed or cured, chemical laden foods) then we will eliminate the need to deodorize, de-grease, and disinfect our homes. Let's all learn to be less vulnerable to those who grow rich because of our gullibility. Wishing you all a good week, The Crazy Nut Team.